Let’s face it, your period doesn’t always have the best timing. Nothing stops the excitement of a holiday than unexpectedly being on your time of the month. But if you realise ahead of time that your period is going to inconveniently interfere with your holiday plans, then there are ways you can prevent it.
What you need to delay your period is Norethisterone, which can delay your period for up to 17 days.
What is Norethisterone and how does it work?
Women may choose to delay their period by taking Norethisterone, if they aren’t already using the combined contraceptive pill. Rather than allowing the levels of the hormone progesterone to fall as they would normally would before your period, the active ingredient in Norethisterone keeps the progesterone levels high as it is the synthetic version of the hormone. This inhibits ovulation and stops the lining of the uterus from shedding, hence delaying your period.
How do I take Norethisterone?
- One 5mg tablet should be taken 3 times a day.
- You should start taking the tablet three days before you expect to start your period.
- When you want your period to start, stop taking the medication and expect your period to arrive 2-3 days later.
- You can take Norethisterone for a maximum of 20 days, which means you can delay your period for up to 17 days.
Norethisterone is NOT a contraceptive and therefore will not prevent pregnancy, so you will still need to use some form of contraception during sexual intercourse such as a condom.
Can I take Norethisterone?
Your doctor will be able to advise you on whether you are eligible to take norethisterone but generally most women are able to take it.
You should not take norethisterone if you:
- Take the contraceptive pill such as the combination pill. However, it is fine to take with the mini pill.
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Have liver problems or history of liver cancer.
- Have recently had a heart attack or stroke caused by blood clot.
- Have asthma or migraines (as it may trigger an attack).
- Are allergic to norethisterone or any similar hormone.
Norethisterone can interact with other medications, so it is important to tell your doctor about any medication you are currently taking.
Norethisterone does not normally cause side effects as it’s taken for a relatively short period of time. But if you do experience side effects, the most common ones are headaches, nausea, bloating, itching, dizziness and breast tenderness.
More serious side effects include jaundice, thrombosis, fluid retention which can lead to high blood pressure and migraines. Contact your doctor if you do suffer from any of these side effects.
Delaying your period regularly
Norethisterone is recommended to be used occasionally and should not be used regularly. If you want to delay your period often, consult with your doctor as it may advisable to take the combined contraceptive pill back-to-back or consider a Mirena coil.
How to buy Norethisterone online
You can buy Norethisterone online safely at regulated online pharmacies such as Ametheushealth. To place an order, you will need to complete a short medical questionnaire. It will be reviewed by one of our pharmacists and if you are eligible for treatment, your medication will be delivered to you in discreet packaging so you can order with us in confidence.
How much does it cost?
If you wish to purchase Norethisterone, you can buy it at Ametheushealth at the lowest price guaranteed.
- 7-day delay (30 tablets): $21
- 17-day delay (60 tablets): $39